Thursday, November 15, 2012

My True Colors

Author’s Note: This piece I have wrote is a character analysis. I have wrote it in the format of a letter in the perspective of the character herself. I analyzed the character Ronnie Miller, from the book The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.
  
Dear Dad,

Since the day you’ve left, there is nobody else I have thought of. Only months have gone by, yet the days we spent together seem like years ago. That summer is still vivid in my mind, each and every second. From the day mom dropped off me and Jonah, you’ve made me look beyond what I can see. I stopped playing the piano, I went to jail, and I almost rejected my offer to Juilliard, but because of you I won’t be that girl anymore.  For those people who didn’t trust me and called me thieves, shame on them because, now I’m not the old Ronnie anymore. Right now, I’m a whole other person. Why? It’s because of you. At times I wish i could see you one last time, but I can’t do that anymore. To be honest, that summer I didn’t want to come to North Carolina, but now it turned out to be an opportunity for me. An opportunity that taught me about family, faith, and love.

Spending time in North Carolina that summer, there was no need for me to be someone else. I could show everyone my true colors, I wasn’t anyone else, except me. That summer we got so close, we went to the beach and most importantly we saw the sea turtles hatch. From those days, I learned to forgive people and forget about the past. We were able to become a family again. That summer I learned that love isn’t just a verb, but a noun from you and Will. Being with everybody, made me so happy, unlike the life in New York. As I think about myself back then, I remind myself of Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games. Both of us thought that we were okay by ourselves, that you didn’t need anybody else. We are very similar in characteristics, like being strong and rebellious. But, both of changed from an important checkpoint in our lives. For her it was The Hunger Games, and for me it was coming to North Carolina and reconnecting with you once again.

Everyone back home misses you so much. There are no words to express the distress that still runs through the family. I just wanted to say, that you’ve made me recognize so many important aspects in my life. You, dad, have changed me for who I am. I will never be able to repay you for that. Thank you. I really do mean it. Thanks a lot!

Love,
Ronnie
XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Your word choice is definitely huge in this piece, so nice job and I love your choice of format with doing the letters like they say mention in the book. The only thing I would say is that I think you could try to show of who the character is. The character who you told about in this letter doesn't seem like the same girl in the book. I like your word choice, but Ronnie doesn't seem like a girl who would say XOXO or "Thanks a lot!" or "There are no words to express the distress" because she's shown as more of a reserved person who doesn't show her emotion often, so try to show her personality in the book and don't worry about using all these huge vocabulary words if that is just not who the character is. Otherwise, I love this :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete