Friday, April 26, 2013

Work Hard, Play Hard

Author's Note: This is the essay I wrote for gym class. Our topic we had to write about was, "What value does physical activity provide you?". In this essay I have talked about the enjoyment and challenge gym class provides you. I hope you like it! 

As I run the last 100 meters, the intensity in me rises up into my throat. Fear rages through my body. Am I going to make my goal? My legs haven't worked this hard before. Will I do it? Questions run through my brain while I sprint out the home stretch. It's going to be these four laps that decide it all. I can see the finish line from here; I run as fast as I can. My legs barely make it to the end, but as I run right past the finish, a big bright smile lights up my whole face. I did it. I just ran a mile.

It's a time to take a break from the day and all your classes. It's a class where all you have to do is have fun. It's a time of day where you can relax and just play. It's gym. Fitness and health are two key components in our lives, and gym class takes us through everything. Although there are times you have to work hard, gym class is all about having fun and trying your best. It doesn't matter how good you are, it's all about enjoying your time in the gym. Physical activity has made a huge impact in my life, even if it doesn't take up that much space.

Basketball, tennis, hockey, soccer, you could keep listing all of the different types of sports we play in class. The twists, the different ideas, and re-creations of these games are really cool. Physical activity gives me something to look forward to in the day. It's a time where you can just have fun playing sports and different games. It calms people down and overall it is just a fun class.   When you walk inside the gym and see that your going to play your favorite game, it's really exciting.

Gym class has always brought joy to the heart, but sometimes, it isn't all about fun and games. Some days, you have to work really hard. Testing gives you an overall fitness level for you. Having goals, makes you put in the effort to show everyone that I can work hard and do all of this. It doesn't matter who does better than you, you are your worst enemy. So every time I step foot into that gym, I want to do better and better each time. I will prove to everyone that I can be just as good as them. If I fall down, that's alright. All I have to do is get up on my two feet and try again.

Physical activity certainly is challenging, but there is no rule to not make it fun. That's what gym's all about. It gives you something to look forward to, and it makes you work harder each and every day. What has it provided for me? Well, not only has it been a challenge and makes me put in lots of effort, but it also is very enjoyable. It makes you really happy if you make a basket or even one point in a game. Physical activity may not play the lead role of my life, but it certainly does make a huge impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment