Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To Hear A Hand

Author's Note: For the past several weeks, I have been learning sign language. It's been so great learning all the different signs. I've suddenly loved this feeling, of speaking through your hands. So I decided to write a poem in the point of view of a deaf person. Sorry about the long author's note, but I just want you to realize how hard it would be for them. I hope you enjoy this poem, there is so much emotion behind it! 

I may not hear,
I may not speak.
The simple pleasures,
Everyone seek,
Are nothing to me.
The whistles of the wind,
The claps of thunder,
I will never know.
My ears may not work,
My mouth may not say.
You might have it all,
But I have more.
A community of my own,
People like me.
I may be deaf,
I may be an outcast,
To everyone besides me.
I am me,
Everything I've wanted to be.
I have a life,
I have a dream.
I will achieve.
For these hands I use,
May be clueless to some,
Yet they enclose language.
I can now speak.
I can now hear a hand.
Every letter.
Every word.
Every sign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment